Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Testimony of C.S. Lewis


I love a good testimony. I love hearing how someone can to know Christ. One beauty of having brothers and sisters in Christ is that we all have a common thread in some type of testimony - the realization that Christ is who the Bible claims He is and our (sometimes begrudging) acceptance of this fact. Many people are familiar with Oxford and Cambridge scholar C.S. Lewis. However most are unfamiliar with his testimony; his story of how he went from atheism to theism:

"Early in 1926 the hardest boiled of all atheists I ever knew sat in my room on the other side of the of the fire and remarked that the evidence for the historicity of the Gospels was really surprisingly good...'It almost looks as if it had really happened once.' To understand the shattering impact of it (his remark), you would need to know the man (who has certainly never since shown any interest in Christianity). If he, the cynic of cynics, the toughest of the toughs, were not - as I would have put it - "safe," where could I turn? The odd thing was that before God closed in on me, I was in fact offered what now appears a moment of wholly free choice...I could open the door of keep it shut...The choice appeared to be momentous but it was also strangely unemotional. I was moved by no desires or fears. In a sense I was not moved by anything. I chose to open, to unbuckle, to loosen the rein." (C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy, New York: Harcourt Brace & Co., 1955, 223-224)

The thing that stands the most to me is the fact that Lewis did not have a highly emotional or passionate moment of conversion. His conversion started when he came to intellectually honest terms of who Jesus was and is.

As Norman Geisler states, "Jesus was especially concerned about bringing His contemporaries to an accurate conception of Himself." (Unshakable Foundations, 282).

Praise God that Lewis responded to the Call - all Christians everywhere have been blessed by his spiritual gifts.

No comments: