Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Pondering Fatherhood




This has been the first Christmas where I've been a father. As I daily watch my son grow and do more and more things for the first time, I often wonder how Joseph, Jesus' earthly father, must have felt knowing that he was chosen by God to raise and take care of the Son of God. How inadequate he must have felt. He probably thought, "What can I teach this boy that he already doesn't know or will know?"

I often feel the same way when I talk to my son and he starts to to "talk back." Just this week he has started stringing together vowels and consonants and is trying his hardest to talk as he wrinkles his eyes and makes facial expressions as if genuinely trying to tell me about his day. During these communication sessions I often wonder, "How am I going to teach this boy about God, life, or anything for that matter?"

Fatherhood is both amazing and frightening. And as I continue to spend time with my son and try to learn his ways, as he tries to learn mine, I wonder also in equal amazement and fear how our Heavenly Father sees us. Indeed, he must see us as babies that are 100% dependent on Him and daily needs his perfect guidance. What an extraordinary and mysterious relationship that is.

No comments: